Oilers By Pikey

Hockey news and Random musings from a rabid Edmonton Oiler fan (who also loves Federal Politics)

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Oilers Doing Well....Pikey Has 10 Year HS Reunion on the Horizon!

Well, holy shit! Apparently, it's been 10 years since I last walked through the hallways of McNally Composite High School, calling myself a Tiger. Oh how the time flys! Now I'm left with an unenviable decision....the reunion is on November 18th. The Edmonton Oilers also play on Nov18, and I have tickets to the game. So which event do I go to? When I told my fellow high school graduate Sketch about this dilemma, all he could ask was... is ATA going with you? Thanks for the input Sketch. (I'm sure you'll have a comment on this, so please read comments for further information on the battle)
As much as I would love to go and re-live old memories (or emotional scars, whichever you decide to call them), I think I'll have a better time watching the Oilers battle the Red Wings. If you read this blog, and are a McNally grad though, check out the site....www.mcnallyclassof1996.blogspot.com

Onto the Oilers. Oh how I love thee! Four games into the season, and the mighty Oil are 3-1.
First thing I want to address is the defence. It's looked pretty good. Sure, the blueliners are bound to make some dumb mistakes, but overall, they haven't looked out of place. I've been especially impressed with Smid, who at 20, looks like he'll be a player in this league for years to come.
I can't remember who made the comment during the off-season, but I do recall someone telling me that Kevin Lowe wasted $2.9 million dollars on a Czech forward named Petr Sykora. I'm not sure who that was, but with 6 points through the first 4 games, I'd say that comment was a bit off.
And what can you say about Ryan Smyth. #94 epitomizes this franchise, pouring his heart soul, and at least 1 tooth into every game he plays. He singlehandedly carried the team on his back against San Jose, scoring the fastest hat trick in Oilers history, en route to a 6-4 come from behind win over the Sharks. In scoring the hat trick, Smytty broke a record held by none other than Wayne Gretzky. Although, just a note for the Edmonton Journal, Gretzky couldn't have set the Hat Trick record in 1991, as he was no longer playing for the Edmonton Oilers at that point. Not that anyone from the Journal would actually read this page!!

Until my next post or announcement about an upcoming high school reunion..........

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home