Oilers By Pikey

Hockey news and Random musings from a rabid Edmonton Oiler fan (who also loves Federal Politics)

Monday, July 03, 2006

Thanks for the Memories, Prongs!

The longer I sit here, the more I like the trade that Kevin Lowe pulled off today with Anaheim Ducks GM Brian Burke.
Chris Pronger for Joffrey Lupul, Ladislav Smid, a 2007 1st rounder, a 2008 2nd rounder and a conditional 1st rounder in 2008.
Alot of people I have talked to today don't think this is the best deal. But I think Lowesy has definitely bested Burke on this one.
If I was running the Ducks, I wouldn't have given up 5 potential players for Pronger...unless he was just turning 26....(I think he'll be 32 this year).
I have always like Lupul from watching him play in Medicine Hat, and at the ripe age of 22, his stock can only climb.
I think Smid will be able to crack the line up this year, and while he won't be a Pronger right away, he'll get the job done.
But with Lupul in the line-up, I think the time is now to re-sign Sergei Samsonov. With that kind of offensive talent, someone like Raffi Torres might find himself playing third line minutes.
Now all that's left is for Lowe to go out and get a veteran blue-liner (trade Bergeron if you have to....sorry still haven't forgiven him for the playoffs), re-sign Jaroslav Spacek and maybe find some scoring (Sammy).
I think the Oil can still make 'er deep in the playoffs this year, given the pure offensive talent on the roster.

And I wish all the best to Chris Pronger....thanks for what you did while here.
Hopefully your family will feel more at home in Anaheim!!

1 Comments:

  • At 3:22 a.m., Blogger Atypical Albertan said…

    Hey Pronger! Keep it in your pants in Anaheim. You're funny Pikey, you will be diplomatic sometimes, yet completely in your face at others (total Liberal, I guess.)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home