Oilers By Pikey

Hockey news and Random musings from a rabid Edmonton Oiler fan (who also loves Federal Politics)

Friday, September 15, 2006

Lupul Signs, Rookies Impress, and Grande Prairie Gets Ready!

If you look carefully at my last post, you will notice that I mentioned Kevin Lowe saying "Joffrey Lupul will be signed by Training Camp...It's Not an Issue!"
Sometimes, I hate it when I'm right, but this is not one of those times.
I couldn't believe the news when I heard...Lupul signs for 3 years at $6.9 Million (not per, but term)
Now there had been some rumours floating around about Joffrey not being happy about being in Edmonton, suffering from the "I don't wanna play in front of the home town crowd this early in my career" blues. A 3 year deal, foregoing 1 year of arbitration doesn't sound like that to me. Now this deal means Lupul will be an Oiler until he's 25. That gives us 1 or 2 more years of Lupul as an RFA (depending on how you read the CBA). This is the perfect deal for the club. I don't want to see Joffrey sign a 6 year deal, and then walk away from the club as an RFA(well maybe I will in 6 years, but we'll see). This deal works for the Oilers and for Lupul.

In other news, the annual Oiler Rookies VERSUS the U of A Golden Bears went earlier this week. The Rookies won 6-3, with Troy Bodie scoring a pair! Dubnyk looked good and went a long way towards easing my fears that he only stops pucks because he's bigger than the net.

Training Camp opened in Grande Prairie on Thursday, with the first pre-season game to be played Sept17 in Winnipeg! Yeah! Fucking rights! Although, it is a bit of salt in the wound that the Oilers will play in Winnipeg against Phoenix, which of course used to be the Winnipeg Jets. Whoever let the Jets leave the league can kiss my ass!

And thanks to ATA, I'll be at 6 more Oiler games this year. I already had my grubby paws on a 3 game mini-pack, when ATA called me to ask if we should get more! Hell yeah! There weren't any 3 game packs left, so we settled on a 6 game. The 6 game means that I will be at Rexall for Chris Prongers second return to Edmonton. You'll notice me, because I'll be the only one not booing him!

12 Comments:

  • At 12:44 p.m., Blogger Breakenridge said…

    So thanks for the heads up about buying tickets for Oilers home games. Just because I live in Calgary, doesn't mean that I wouldn't be interested in coming home to see the Oil play.

     
  • At 11:11 p.m., Blogger pikey78oil said…

    I should tell you Sketch, it was ATA's panicked phone call at 6:05pm on a Friday that convinced me to buy tix...so technically, and I say techincally, it was ATA's responsibility to keep you in the loop....hahahaha...jk

     
  • At 8:09 a.m., Blogger Breakenridge said…

    I figured, but he's been too busy formulating his lengthy argument about gun control, and then making what I think is the false link between comments made about the shootings and longer prison sentences being a deterrent.

    But for more on that you may have to read my lengthy reply to his post.

    But I just want to say, I give him a piece of gold yesterday about Ralph handing in his resignation and he has to go post about an tragedy that's being used inappropriately by both sides of the gun control debate.

     
  • At 2:03 p.m., Blogger Breakenridge said…

    Hey,

    I know this is an oilers site and all, but why no comments about the return of NHL hockey to Winnipeg for the Phoenix/Edmonton tilt?

    Just wondering.

     
  • At 10:44 p.m., Blogger Atypical Albertan said…

    Hey Sketch,

    Sorry for not inviting you - I really didn't think that you would travel and I was a little rushed. Pikey hasn't paid me yet for the tickets, so let's just the first to pay is the first to play!

     
  • At 10:44 p.m., Blogger Atypical Albertan said…

    Why are we the only ones leaving comments on each other's blog's. How do we get these things promoted?

     
  • At 10:45 p.m., Blogger Atypical Albertan said…

    No I'm just trying to get the number of comments drastically increased, so Pikey will think for about 10 seconds that he is loved.

     
  • At 12:18 a.m., Blogger pikey78oil said…

    by the way sketch, i did comment on Edmonton and Phoenix battling in the frozen utopia otherwise known as Winnipeg. But it was in a previous post. So there! Yeah!

     
  • At 6:45 p.m., Blogger Breakenridge said…

    but you commented before the game, what about a post-game assessment

     
  • At 11:28 p.m., Blogger Atypical Albertan said…

    I love lamp!

     
  • At 8:41 p.m., Blogger pikey78oil said…

    touche sketch...i've been a little slow on the posting...and good one ATA....i love lamp as well!!

     
  • At 1:09 p.m., Blogger Atypical Albertan said…

    Whar do you think about Schremp being sent down to the minors?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home